Chemex Classic Series, Pour-over Glass Coffeemaker, 6-Cup - Exclusive Packaging

  • Purchase from Authorized Resellers: e-Home Shopping, Barista Lab, Visions Espresso Service, TheShoppingTimes, Big Kitchen
  • Made of non-porous Borosilicate glass which will not absorb odors or chemical residues
  • CHEMEX pour-over allows coffee to be covered and refrigerated for reheating without losing flavor
  • Simple, easy to use with timeless, elegant design
  • Use CHEMEX Bonded Filters FP-1, FC-100, FS-100, FSU-100

Best. Coffee. Ever. I make coffee every single morning in this thing and it comes out perfectly balanced and delicious. PROS: - Taste: the extra thick Chemex filters make all the difference. I've used both bleached and unbleached and they both make great tasting coffee. - Clean-up: a breeze. Super easy to rinse out with a dash of soap and warm water. - Construction: seems sturdy for an all-glass apparatus. I had a pour-over coffee maker from a different brand that broke when I accidentally hit it against the faucet. I've (clumsily) hit this one with the same amount of force and it didn't crack. CONS: - Design: the Chemex with the wood/leather decor is prettier IMHO, but I took one reviewer's advice and bought this one for the sturdiness, which was a good choice.

Ok, I wanted to give this coffee maker a little time before I posted my review; in order to get used to this new (old) way of making coffiee. After having it for almost 2 months now, I can say that we LOVE it! Our 2 year old, 100 buck, "high end" POS maker crapped out. So we were looking for an alternative to the norm, tired of vinegar cleaning, and spending $$$, and boy did we find it! Thoughts below: Quality of item - It is very high quality and has held up very well. BE SURE that you buy a genuine Chemex brand and NOT a cheap knock off! They exist out there. A friend of ours mistakenly bought a knock off, and its quality is no where near the quality of Chemex. The knock off is too thin and easily cracks and breaks. Beware! As for this brand, no complaints at all. It has held up beautifully, and we make at least 1 pot a day. Time it takes to brew - Ok, the MAIN thing is that you have to boil water in a kettle, and manually feed it water of course. So, whatever time that takes on your stove to boil a kettle, that's the time you can add to what it would normally take you to make coffee in an electric maker. For us, we timed both. What we found is that it takes us approximately 5 minutes longer to make a pot of coffee in the Chemex, due to the time it takes to boil the water, mostly. Manually pouring it is a sunk cost, obviously. As for the maker itself, it takes about the same time as an electric maker, or perhaps even less. BUT, the difference in the quality of coffee is AMAZING! We use Folgers Columbian and when brewing via the Chemex, it tastes, smells, and "feels" like Starbucks! No joke. Never got that quality out of an electric maker, ever. So, is it worth the extra 5 mins and a bit of labor? YEP! Filters and such - When we bought this maker, we also bought the traditional Chemex paper filters to go with it. We also took the advice of others and bought the metal mesh filter for it too, which is a bit costly. Using the traditional papers filters was rather time consuming. They are thick and, while they do produce an amazing coffee, they are very slow. So, we decided to use the metal filter. Problem with using the metal filter alone is that the holes in it are large enough to let fine sediment through, and it's also too quick; meaning that the coffee grounds do not get a chance to really saturate and release the coffee robustness, and flavor... So... what to do? Well, what we found is that if we buy standard #4 cone type coffee filters, combine it with the metal filter (placing it on the inside of the metal filter of course), we get the best of both worlds. The #4 filters are thick enough to hold the water in longer, but not too thick so the flow is better. The metal filter "stiffins" the #4 filter and also catches any loose particles that might escape the #4 filter. The result - We capture the full flavor of the coffee, and save $ in the long run because #4 filters can be bought anywhere, and cheaply. We use the unbleached #4's. Keeping coffee hot - When we brew a pot in the Chemex, we immediately transfer it from the Chemex to a thermos type coffee carafe. Since the temperature is near boiling when the pot is brewed, the coffee stays hot in the carafe all day long. We bought the glass lid for the Chemex, but mostly use it to keep dust out of the Chemex when it's not in use. Plus, it looks nice on top of it ;) Clean up - We simply rinse it out after letting it cool down a bit... done. Looks on the counter - Ok, here's a NICE side benefit! The Chemex is like a beautiful art glass sculpture. It looks WAY better than that ugly, clunky, looking device that we used to have. Plus, it takes up about 1/2 the room on the counter! So, we have more space now ;) And, we didn't have to sacrifice quantity of coffee. This 10 cup Chemex is precisely the amount our old clunker made. Bottom line - Never knew what we were missing. AWESOME coffee, even using cheap brands, every time! The aroma that fills the air in the home when we brew is amazing. Love the smell! AWESOME looks in the kitchen! NO MORE "vinegar clean out, stinking up the house - finally self-destructs" coffee makers! This baby, taken care of and not dropped or thrown across the room, should last a lifetime! This means NO MORE spending 80-100 bucks every couple of years on ugly mechanical, mad scientist, POS devices. Talk about saving $$$!!! Is it worth the upfront costs, and spending 5 more mins to make coffee, and feeding the maker as opposed to automatically doing it for you? Um..... YES! Totally worth this minor, manual, labor and costs in my opinion. I can't tell you what a great feeling it was to toss that 100 buck, mechanical, coffee maker wannabe POS into the recycling bin! My joy was palpable :) A side note - This is making coffee like most people living today have little experience with. You've likely never experienced coffee made like this ever in your life, nor know anyone who has. I know we hadn't, and didn't! Therefore, the process IS different and it DOES take some getting used to. This is why I waited nearly 2 months to write this review. Give it time... get used to the process... follow the directions they provide, and you'll likely never go back to an electric maker again. It is well worth the benefits we believe and whats more is, at least for us, the manual process seems to lend itself to a more "personal" and "creative" experience with the coffee making process. I know that sounds strange, but for us it's more like we're "creating" a wonderful coffee to enjoy. Like a painter with their brush. The Chemex is a tool, and a beautiful one, but the "artwork" you create with it is up to you ;) Enjoy. Hope this review helps! Also, thanks to all the others who have left reviews! You helped us to make our decision! Glad we did!

I no longer use my Keurig. I use this along with a stainless cone filter instead of using the paper filters designed for it. I can't explain why it improves the taste of coffee, but it does. Even friends at work who are used to drinking a low-quality coffee made from a Bunn maker and who drink coffee solely for the caffeine rather than taste could taste the difference when I made them their coffee in my Chemex. Now that I've introduced them to some good quality beans, I'm afraid gas station coffee will no longer do for them.

TL;DR - buy this if you love great coffee The background: I want my brew result to be smooth, and full of all the deep flavor subtleties that great coffee is all about. The kind of brew for which I WANT to spend a months salary on an espresso machine, but alas, my priorities have kept that on hold. I've gone as far as I can with a great burr grinder, great beans, and a good deal of effort with various brewing implements. I'm well versed in making on-the-fly / cup by cup adjustments in the grind/ratio/heat/time equations for AeroPress, a few sizes of MokaPots including a couple Brikka, a few French press, the Vietnamese drip, Automatic drips (basket and cone types), blah blah blah with acceptable if not high levels of success. With each, I've achieved that "This is as good, but I want a little better" plateau. None of these come close to a true $$$$$$ espresso machine of course. For the cost, the closest would be the Brikka for the creama that's possible. I say all of that, to say this: The maiden voyage with my brand new Chemex 10-Cup Classic, the round white folded filter, a grind that I normally use for my Brikka, and a pour over of 208° distilled water, has resulted in a brew that is nothing less than everything I ever wanted my cup of coffee to be. Hands down, the best brew ever. THIS brews the kind of coffee that'll have you BOTH forgetting the job for 10 minutes of pure bliss and leave smile on your face going back to it. I've read other reviews. If this breaks for some reason, I'll buy another. Goodness sakes it's not titanium folks, it's borosilicate glass. The whole reason I even considered buying one was the reservoir of my $50 automatic drip fractured when moving. These things aren't BIFL. They're for someone who's ready to craft a cup of coffee with an elegantly simple tool. Towards that end, this is The One. Now, I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

I love Chemex coffee makers--have had a few over the years and recently went back---I do not know why I stopped using them. I just bought the 6 cup with the handle --a bit easier to pour in my old age with achy hands. Of course a "cup" means 5 ounces not 8. I took the collar off my old one and put it on this one as I like that look. It is a little tricky as you have to unknot one end of the leather cord and take it out of the bead so it will fit through the handle and thread it back thru the bead (the tricky part) and re knot. But doable. I have never had trouble with excessive breakage--but they are glass so ............life happens. The instruction say to remove the collar for washing but I never have. I just rinse out the pot with hot water and if needed with a soapy sponge and air dry. The collar and leather cord hardly get wet at all. Not sure about a dishwasher though--I think I would remove it if I used one. Chemex is now selling leather cords in several different colors. I wish they would make collars out of different types of wood.

I was searching for an alternative to plastic constructed automatic drip machines and this was the perfect alternative! Automatic drip machines will leach chemicals into your coffee due to flame-retardent plastic being exposed to high temperatures. The automatic machine water lines also typically end up getting full of mildew which will get infused into your cups of coffee. The Chemex is made in the US which is a huge plus for me. One of the big reasons I didn't get a French press over a Chemex is because I couldn't find a single domestically or non-Chinese made in China. Overall I am extremely satisfied with my Chemex. I really do prefer the taste of my Chemex coffee ( with Coffeesock organic cotton filter) over automatic drip coffee.

I have two Chemex coffeemakers, the other being a 1-3 cup handblown model with the classic wood collar and tie. That one is a beautiful object, but I find myself using this larger one more frequently, even though I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. For one thing, the wood collar gets just hot enough to make the pouring process uncomfortable without using a paper or dish towel. The glass handle, which stays cool, takes care of this problem. I strongly recommend using a good stainless steel filter instead of the Chemex paper filters (I have the "coffee filter for Chemex" - currently unavailable on Amazon). Handled properly, the re-usable steel filter gives a cleaner tasting brew than the paper ones (though Melitta's bamboo filters are very good and don't have that papery taste). If you want a more densely flavored coffee, put a Melitta #4 bamboo filter inside the metal filter). Keep in mind that the 8-cup Chemex (40 oz) will fill only about 4 good-sized mugs of coffee. It's is super-easy to clean (as is the steel filter). You can keep the brewed coffee warm on very low stovetop heat and having the Able Brewing White Heat Lid helps retain heat and flavor (it's better than the glass lid sold by Chemex).

Tried this pour over coffee system today with the gold kone filter. The system is great but takes a couple of tries to get the coffee strength just the way you want it. I tried two different kinds of beans and two different grind levels. The first was with regular coffee beans and a medium coarse grind, which I had to pour out...too weak. The second time I used dark roast coffee beans from Starbucks (Komodo) and ground the beans finely- not espresso grind but very fine. It made a rich coffee the way I like it. So, if you like coffee that's medium strength, I would make sure to use very fresh beans ground medium-fine, not at all coarse. I used an electric water cooker and poured the boiling water into my new swan-neck pour over water pitcher and took my time pouring it over the grounds in the gold kone. It turned out perfectly the second time with the fine grounds. I would have bought the 8 cup if I had known better, however this does the job for 1-2 people. This system replaced my Kuerig and is better than wasting water with a large machine. I am thinking about getting the glass top to go with it. So, I have this now and an espresso maker and I'm super pleased!

I assumed the Chemex was probably going to be gimmicky and too much work compared to my Keurig Vue but I was very pleasantly surprised. While it does take a fair amount more effort to produce than my other pod base coffee maker, the difference in quality is stunning. After some trial and error, I wouldn't recommend using standard filters with the Chemex but instead stay with the thicker proprietary Chemex brand filters.

Wish I had learned about Chemex years ago. After a week of coffee made with it, I'll never go back. It's so delicious! I use less sugar, and drink every drop. Try folding a couple of weeks worth of filters in advance, they are easy to fold and then they are ready. I use a hand cranked burr grinder and a kettle with a long spout, both of which are worth having anyway, but combined with the Chemex, I can make a perfect cup every time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TEAC CD-P650-B Compact Disc Player with USB and iPod Digital Interface (Black)

Maker Hart Just Mixer M - Mini Microphone Mixer with Preamp for Phantom Power, USB Audio Input and Output (Basic Package, Black)